If you’ve recently received a new dental implant, you understand how valuable and priceless that implant can be.
Dental implants in East Dallas, TX make it possible to have a “normal” smile again after tooth loss, and they are the best tooth-replacement option available today.
Now that you have your implant, you’ll want to do everything you can to take care of it and make sure it lasts you for many years to come. Luckily, caring for your dental implant is rather straightforward and doesn’t require much special treatment. The best thing you can do for your new artificial tooth is to maintain your oral hygiene and keep your mouth clean and healthy!
Habits for Healthy Dental Implants in Mesquite, TX
Thankfully, you should already be doing most of the things that you’ll need to keep your dental implant strong and healthy. These habits include:
- Visiting your dentist at least once every six months for a routine cleaning and exam
- Brushing your teeth at least twice every day with a soft toothbrush for two minutes each time
- Flossing between your teeth, and taking extra time to floss around your dental implant thoroughly
- Chewing or biting down on hard foods with your natural teeth rather than placing too much force on your artificial tooth crown
- Cleaning around and underneath your implant’s dental crown
- Avoiding toothpaste and cleansers that contain abrasives like baking soda, which can damage the surface of your dental implant over time
Although dental implants cannot decay like enamel and natural teeth can, you can still break, crack, or fracture your porcelain tooth crown. It’s also possible to develop gum disease in the gum tissue around your dental implant, so proper flossing and hygiene habits are essential.
Visit Your Mesquite, TX Dentist to Learn More
If you need to replace a missing tooth, a dental implant is an excellent treatment choice. Once we place your dental implant, it’s important to then give your implant the best chance you can by maintaining superb oral hygiene standards every day.
If you have questions about your dental implant, please feel free to contact us by calling (972) 270-2911.